There is a special service that was launched by the Indian Railways called Bharat Tirth tourist train. Under this plan, different packages are offered that are for various shrines throughout the country. With the launch of this service we Pilgrim located in the Himalayas to Kanyakumari and Dwarka to Vindhya Parbat, Ajmer Sharif to Gangasagar and also from Madurai to Patna Sahib.
The Bharat Tirth tourist train provides the opportunity to people from all over the world to explore various pilgrim places located in the different parts of the country.
The different pilgrim's routes that are covered by various operational trains are listed below:-
1. Howrah-Varanasi-Howrah covering Agra, Mathura, Vrindavan, New Delhi, Haridwar and Varanasi.
2. Howrah-Chennai-Howrah covering Puducherry, Madurai, Rameshwaram, Kanyakumari, Bangalore, Mysore and Chennai.
3. Howrah-Araku-Howrah covering Vizag and Hyderabad.
4. Howrah-Allahabad-Howrah covering Varanasi, Jammu Tawi, Amritsar, Haridwar, Mathura, Vrindavan and Allahabad.
5. Howrah-Jaipur-Howrah covering Ajmer, Udaipur, Jodhpur, Bikaner and Jaipur.
6. Mumbai-Pune-Mumbai covering Tirupati, Kancheepuram, Rameshwaram, Madurai and Kanyakumari.
7. Pune-Jammu Tawi-Pune covering Jaipur, Nathdwara, Ranakpur, Jaipur, Mathura, Agra, Haridwar and Amritsar.
8. Pune-Ratnagiri-Pune covering Goa, Bangalore, Mysore and Tirupati
9. Ahmedabad-Ujjain-Ahmedabad covering Puri, Kolkata, Gangasagar, Varanasi, Allahabad, Indore and Omkareshwar
10. Bhopal-Jammu Tawi-Bhopal covering Dwarka, Somnath, Udaipur, Ajmer, Jodhpur, Jaipur, Mathura, Vrindavan and Amritsar
11. Bhopal-Cochin-Bhopal covering Tirupati, Kanchipuram, Rameshwaram, Madurai, Kanyakumari and Trivandrum.
12. Madurai-Chennai-Madurai covering Kopargaon and Mantralayam.
13. Madurai-Chennai-Madurai covering Erode, Pune, Ujjain, Veraval, Nasik and Hyderabad.
14. Madurai-Chennai-Madurai covering Jaipur, Delhi, Mathura, Vrindavan, Allahabad, Varanasi and Gaya.
15. Madurai-Delhi-Madurai covering Varanasi, Gaya, Patna Sahib, Allahabad, Haridwar, Chandigarh, Kurukshetra and Amritsar.
16. Madurai-Hyderabad-Madurai covering Mysore, Goa, Mumbai and Aurangabad.
There are various other luxurious special tourist trains that are operated by the Indian Railways which are:-
1. Golden Chariot - Pride of South - This is a special train that covers a tour of 7 nights and 8 days. The theme on which the train is built is the intricate carving architecture of the Hoysala Temple. While on excursion through this train one can visit "City of Places" in Mysore, Wildlife reserve located at Kabini, World heritage sites at Hassan and Hospet, beaches at Goa.
2. Palace on Wheels - This special tourist train offers a tour of 7 nights and 8 days. The tour of the train takes one through various picturesque cenotaphs, havelis, palaces, national parks and also one of the Seven Wonders of the World - the great Taj Mahal. This train covers the following destinations Jaipur, Udaipur, Jodhpur, Chittorgarh, Jaisalmer, Bharatpur and Agra. The train majorly covers Amber Fort, Hawa Mahal, Ranthambore National Park, Chittorgarh fort, Udaipur City Palace, Sandstone havelis located in Thar Desert, Mehrangarh Fort and Taj Mahal.
3. Royal Rajasthan on Wheels - Travels a tour of 7 nights and 8 days. The route traverse by this special train is through Jaipur, Jodhpur, Chittorgarh, Bharatpur, Jaisalmer, Sawai Madhopur and Udaipur.
The tourist spots covered via the trip are:
a. Mehrangarh Fort of Jodhpur
b. Khajuraho temples
c. Ranthambore National Park
d. Ghats in Varanasi
e. Cruise trip in Udaipur
f. Amber Fort in Jaipur
g. The Great Taj Mahal in Agra
4. Maharaja's Express - The interiors of this train gives a look of the royal carriages. Enroute this the train traverses through Ranthambore National Park, Taj Mahal, Khajuraho temple, City Palaces in Udaipur and Varanasi.